Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Taste of Fall

Apple crisp with ice cream

Football, orange leaves, pumpkins that have faces, apple crisp. My favorite things about fall. While I can't control the outcomes of the first two, and I have limited artistic abilities when it comes to pumpkins, I can tell you how to make a delicious apple crisp that goes well after any dinner -- or for dinner, if you prefer. If fall could taste like anything, it would be a spoonful of this heavenly dessert. It's one of those little things in life that can turn a bad day into something wonderful.

There are so many variations in apple crisp recipes that I took my favorite aspects from every one and combined them to form the perfect taste for my palate. I hope it suits yours as well. And remember...don't forget the vanilla ice cream on the side!

Ingredients:

8 medium apples, sliced and peeled
cinnamon
honey
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. (The size of the pan doesn't really matter -- just adjust the recipe accordingly if it's smaller.)

After the apples are sliced and peeled, place them in rows in the pan to create two layers. (If you prefer a thick section of apples or have way too many to fit in your fridge after apple picking, add another layer.) Sprinkle with some cinnamon and drizzle with honey.


Apples sprinkled with cinnamon and honey

In a medium bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg until blended. (I prefer a non-oatmeal-ly taste to the crisp, so add more oats if you feel there aren't enough. And yes, I'm an English major, so I'm allowed to make up words.) I enjoy a lot of the crisp on top -- just a bunch of mushy apples isn't enough! -- so cut back on the butter and sugar if you only want a thin layer. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples.


Sprinkle mixture on top of apples

Bake for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool for ten minutes before serving; it will still be hot enough to slightly melt the ice cream. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Apple crisp it is this weekend! never knew I was supposed to line the apples up in row! Mine just get tossed in from a bowl :) and yes, I definitely like learning new words :)

    Happy Fall! xxoo auntie

    ReplyDelete